Saturday, July 17, 2010

Accidents Happen

Today was awful. It started out great though. Amelia slept for 8.5 hours and we had great snuggles. This afternoon we had to go to my friend Erin's baby shower. I had offered to pick-up a cake from Costco. We needed diapers so it was perfect.

Amelia and I got everything we needed and made it through the line pretty quickly. She flirted with the cashier and cooed at everyone who adored her. It was cute. Then we headed outside.

I put the diapers in the trunk and then went to put AJ in the back seat. I had my wallet and cell phone in her carseat with her so I tossed them up front. My keys must've been in that pile and I didn't know it. I closed the door and went to put the cake in the front passenger seat. The door was locked. I went to get the key and saw it sitting on the seat. I frantically tried the other three doors. ALL LOCKED. I freaked. I ran over to a couple and begged to use their cell phone. Not thinking, I called Abby. I knew she had a spare key to my house and could bring me the spare key to the car.

Then I realized it was 88* outside and I couldn't wait 15 minutes for the key. We called 911. A police officer was a block away so got there in less than a minute. They don't carry slim jims or whatever you call them anymore so he was trying to find a way into the car. I just stood there crying while Amelia sat in the car as happy as a clam, none the wiser. (thank God! I can only imagine how much worse it would have been to have her crying too!)

Finally it was decided the only thing to do was break the window. In order to minimize any glass hitting Amelia they broke the driver's window. It went EVERYWHERE. Except near the baby. Thankfully. I happened to have a blanket in the trunk so the officer cleared out most of the glass and then wrapped my seat so I could sit without getting cut. I just clung to Amelia and told myself accidents happen and I'll never do anything like that again.

It was awful and I'm SO glad she's okay. I feel like a fool but I'm glad that an officer was close by and I didn't have to resort to finding a hammer or some other tool out of someone's car to break the window myself. While the whole thing felt like forever, I think from start to finish it was about 7 minutes but they were the longest 7 minutes. Ugh, I hope we never experience anything like that again!!

No comments: